Monday, November 26, 2012

280/880 interchange project breaks ground

From Supervisor Ken Yeager's newsletter:

On November 9, I led a group of assembled dignitaries in a ceremony to mark the start of the I-280/I-880/Stevens Creek Boulevard Improvements Project. It was with great joy that I celebrated the opportunity to deliver congestion relief to one of the most heavily traveled corridors in Santa Clara County. Anyone who has driven through this area knows that this interchange is one of the most congested in the region. This project will bring relief to thousands of commuters and shoppers.
I began advocating for improvements to this interchange in 2002, while serving on the San Jose City Council. I continued to advocate for it while serving on the Metropolitan Transportation Commission and up through today as the Chair of the VTA Board of Directors. It is satisfying to know that changes are finally underway.
The Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA)―in partnership with the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans)―began the long-awaited traffic relief and safety improvements on the I-280/I-880/Stevens Creek interchange in San Jose. At the end of two and a half years, there will be a number of improvements:
  • The existing full cloverleaf at the I-880/Stevens Creek Boulevard interchange will be reconfigured by widening and realigning ramps, improving traffic flow through the area;
  • Stevens Creek Boulevard will be widened where it passes over I-880 to create a better pedestrian and bicyclist experience;
  • Freeway-to-freeway traffic will be separated from local traffic by building a new direct connector from northbound I-280 to northbound I-880; and
  • Direct off-ramps to Monroe Street from southbound I-880 will be constructed. 
When the project is completed, we will see improved safety and traffic flow as well as reduced queuing and traffic backups. After years of headaches, this project will bring relief to residents, business owners, commuters, and shoppers alike.
During the next few months of the busy holiday season, VTA will focus on pre-construction activities and work along Stevens Creek Boulevard to avoid causing major delays. The first major construction activity to begin later this winter will involve widening the overcrossing structure at Stevens Creek Boulevard over I-880. The construction of the new flyover ramp from north I-280 to north I-880 is expected to begin in spring 2013. Overall construction is slated for completion by spring 2015.
This has been a long time coming, and I am excited that it is finally happening. I look forward to sharing its progress with you. For more information about the project, please visit http://www.vta.org/projects/280_880_stevens_creek_blvd_improvements/index.html.
As always, I encourage you to contact my office if you have any concerns or are interested in additional information. You can reach me at (408) 299-5040 or via e-mail at Supervisor.Yeager@bos.sccgov.org.



No comments:

Post a Comment